Friday, April 4, 2025

Moyes balks at Rooney departure claim

Date:

Share post:

London: Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho and his Manchester United counterpart David Moyes have clashed over the future of United striker Wayne Rooney ahead of the sides’ Premier League encounter on Sunday.

Mourinho, who failed with two bids for the England striker last year, has claimed that Rooney could be allowed to leave United at the end of the season, but Moyes issued a swift rebuttal.

With Rooney yet to agree an extension to his current contract, which expires in 2015, Mourinho hinted that the 28-year-old could be sold to a club from outside England during the close season.

“Man United made it clear in the summer they don’t swap or sell players to their direct rivals,” he said. “They were clear in the way they approached the Rooney situation. For them, it’s pretty clear. They don’t swap. They don’t sell. I think maybe this summer they will try to sell to a non-direct rival. But they were very clear.”

However, Moyes said that Mourinho’s appraisal of the situation was inaccurate.

“Only time will tell and give you the answer (about Rooney). I completely disagree. I can only tell you I disagree,” the Scot said.

Rooney will miss Sunday’s game due to injury. (AFP)

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...