Saturday, April 5, 2025

HC dismisses Kalmadi aide Bhanot’s bail plea

Date:

Share post:

New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday rejected the bail plea of former Commonwealth Games (CWG) Organising Committee (OC) secretary general Lalit Bhanot, arrested for alleged irregularities in a deal with a Swiss firm for the mega sporting event last year.

“I find no merit in the bail application moved by accused Bhanot, therefore, his bail application is dismissed,” Justice Mukta Gupta said.

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested Bhanot and former OC director general V.K. Verma Feb 23.

Both were arrested for alleged irregularities in awarding a Rs.107 crore contract to Switzerland-based firm Swiss Timing Ltd. for procuring a timing, scoring and result (TSR) equipment for the Commonwealth Games.

The CBI registered a case against the two under penal provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act for cheating, criminal conspiracy and violations of various sections. Swiss Timing Ltd. was also booked.

Bhanot moved his bail plea saying the CBI added harsher penal provision of forgery of valuable security against him at a later stage to seek more time to file the charge sheet.

He said the probe agency should have filed the charge sheet within 60 days of his arrest.

Counsel for the CBI said the probe in the case was still going on.

“The petitioner is not entitled to grant of bail in view of section 167 (2) of the Criminal Procedure Code (not filing of charge sheet within the statutory period of 60 days from arrest),” said the court.

Former OC chairman Suresh Kalmadi and two other officials were also arrested in the same case April 25. They are at present lodged in Tihar Jail.

They are also facing charges under the Prevention of Corruption Act. (IANS)

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...