SPORTS UPDATE

‘FIH’s concern under consideration’

New Delhi: Sports Minister Ajay Maken today said the Government has taken note of FIH’s concern over the “proposed settlement” reached between HI and IHF over ruling the national game. India suffered the first big setback for having persuaded Hockey India (HI) and Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) to form a single administrative unit with the International Hockey Federation (FIH) rejecting the joint front and deciding to take the Champions Trophy and the Olympic qualifiers away from the country. “FIH has expressed concern over the proposed settlement stating that it would go against their statute, which provides for a sole national governing body in each member country. The entire matter is under consideration,” Maken said in a written reply in Rajya Sabha. The Sports Minister also informed that HI and IHF while maintaining their individual legal existence shall set up a joint executive board comprising members of their existing executive board. (UNI)

 Domenech accepts 1m euro settlement

PARIS: Former France coach Raymond Domenech, sacked for misconduct after the 2010 World Cup, on Thursday accepted a 1 million euros settlement from the French football federation (FFF). The agreement announced by FFF president Noel Le Graet was ratified by the executive committee of the federation at a meeting in Paris. The deal brings to an end Domenech’s action against the FFF and means the matter will not now go before an employment tribunal. “The Domenech case is over,” Le Graet confirmed. Domenech had been claiming 2.9 million euros in compensation. Under the deal he gave up his entitlement to 150,000 euros in bonuses. Domenech led France to a runners-up finish at the 2006 World Cup in Germany but the rest of his tenure, which began in 2004, became synonymous with failure. (Agencies)

Indo-Pak football series reduced to one

KARACHI: The India-Pakistan football series, which initially comprised three matches, has now been reduced to one. Instead of three matches, which were recently rescheduled for August 20, September 3 and September 11, the series will now see only one clash on September 3, which also happens to be FIFA Day. The decision was reached after All-India Football Federation declined the original proposal, saying that its players would otherwise have to play on August 11 without the participation of five key players as they are playing in the league commencing at the same time. “So, we reached a compromise — just one game. The match will be watched by a big 35,000 crowd, not to mention the leading coaches and scouts,” the Dawn quoted Pakistan Football Federation (PFF) marketing and event management director Sardar Naveed Haider Khan, as saying. “We are really looking forward to put on a good show there.” (ANI)

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments are closed.