Friday, April 4, 2025

Katich gears up for CA showdown

Date:

Share post:

MELBOURNE: A defiant Simon Katich is likely to fight the detrimental public comment charge laid against him by Cricket Australia with his manager claiming that the axed opener knew he would land in trouble for blaming Michael Clarke for his ouster.

An angry Katich had stated that his 2009 dressing-room bust-up with now-captain Clarke after a Test in Sydney was the reason why he was left out of the contracted players’ list earlier this year.

Both Clarke and CA did not take his comments kindly with the governing body accusing him of making a detrimental public comment last week.

Katich and his manager Robert Joske will meet a lawyer before deciding the course of response. Joske said the opener knew what he was getting into when he made the remarks.

“He only ever speaks the truth as far as he perceives it. In saying that, he was aware he probably crossed the line as far as Cricket Australia’s directives are concerned,” Joske was quoted as saying by The Daily Telegraph.

Meanwhile, Katich also got some much-needed support when former Test players Mike Whitney and Greg Matthews said it would be unfair to penalise the opener for his honesty.

The 36-year-old initially reacted angrily to his axing in June, calling a press conference to slam selectors. CA chose not to react at that time. (Agencies)

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...