Thursday, June 13, 2024
spot_img

An Englishman should lead Eng after Capello: Becks

Date:

Share post:

spot_img
spot_img

LONDON: David Beckham wants an Englishman to take charge of the England team when Italian Fabio Capello leaves the job after next year’s European championship.

Beckham, the former England skipper who played 115 times for his country — more than any other outfield player — told BBC Sport. ”Ideally of course we want an English manager leading the England team, simple as that.

”But we haven’t had those options in the last few years so we’ve had a manager that has been successful all over the world in Fabio Capello.

”But going forward, every Englishman would want an English manager.”

Beckham also said Wayne Rooney should be selected in the squad for Euro 2012, even though the striker is banned for the first three matches unless the English FA wins the appeal it has made to UEFA, European soccer’s governing body, to get the punishment reduced.

Rooney was suspended by UEFA for hacking Montenegro’s Miodrag Dzudovic in last month’s Euro 2012 qualifier in Podgorica but Beckham said Rooney should be included in Capello’s 23-man list. ”He is such an important player for our country and once we get through those first stages, that’s when a player like Wayne Rooney will come into play,” said the LA Galaxy midfielder.

”Obviously it’s disappointing he’s going to miss those games but, if you have a chance of taking a player like Wayne, you have to take him of course.” He also reiterated his desire, even at the age of 36, to be part of the Britain team which will be taking part in the soccer tournament at the Olympics for the first time since 1960 next year in London.

”All kids think about it,” he said, ”I might be 36 years old, but I’m still a kid when it comes to leading my country, so yeah: we all dream about it and think about it: if it happens I would be honoured.”

Beckham helped Galaxy reach Major League Soccer’s Western Conference final this week, but although his five-year contract with the club ends later this month, he said his future was still undecided. (Reuters)

spot_img
spot_img

Related articles

Bajrang Dal members burn effigies during a protest over the Reasi terror attack, in Kanpur, on Wednesday

Bajrang Dal members burn effigies during a protest over the Reasi terror attack, in Kanpur, on Wednesday. (PTI)

Dhar pins NPP poll debacle on govt’s ‘shortcomings’

We want to apologise for our shortcomings. We will work harder and try to improve: Dy CM By Our Reporter SHILLONG,...

BJP says relations with NPP strong in spite of poll fiasco

By Our Reporter SHILLONG, June 12: The BJP on Wednesday insisted that the talks about strained relations between the...

MTDC denies awarding ‘renovation’ contract

PINEWOOD HOTEL ROW By Our Reporter SHILLONG, June 12: The Meghalaya Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) on Thursday denied allotting the...