Friday, June 14, 2024
spot_img

‘Mubarak’s trial to be postponed again’

Date:

Share post:

spot_img
spot_img

Cairo: The trial of Egypt’s ousted President Hosni Mubarak, which was due to resume on Sunday, will be postponed until a decision is made on whether to change the panel presiding over the case, said lawyers on Tuesday.

Some of the lawyers representing families of those killed in an uprising against Mubarak’s rule have demanded changes to the panel after complaining it had failed to give them adequate time to question Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, who heads the army council now ruling Egypt.

Lawyers told Reuters the current panel headed by Judge Ahmed Refaat will either hold a session to adjourn the trial while remanding the defendants in prison or will postpone it through administrative methods without holding the session.

”The case is suspended until a decision is reached on Refaat,” said Hassan Abul Enen, a lawyer representing the families.

The delay will add to public frustration over the pace of the trial.

Al-Shorouk newspaper reported on Tuesday the three judges appointed to decide on the lawyers’ request to change the panel in the Mubarak trial had resigned.

The head of the cassation court now has to appoint a new team of judges who will rule on the lawyers’ demand, a move likely to further delay the trial of the former president.

The panel had previously postponed hearing the demand until December, saying it needed to review Refaat’s record and background, specifically requesting details of any consultancy positions he was involved in.

Judicial sources told Reuters on Tuesday the Supreme Judiciary Council, the highest judicial authority in Egypt, said in a report that Refaat has not been appointed in any governmental positions since 1998.

Egyptian judges are often used by government ministries or bodies, a practice critics say has often brought the objectivity of some judges into doubt. (UNI)

spot_img
spot_img

Related articles

KSU suggests combined 90 pc job quota for STs

Union says separate reservations of 40% for Khasi-Jaintia people and 40% for Garos should be done away with SHILLONG,...

Illegal quarrying, mining rampant in Meghalaya

SHILLONG, June 13: Rampant quarrying and mining activities continue in Meghalaya with authorities choosing to remain oblivious to...

Ronnie upbeat about Congress revival in state

SHILLONG, June 13: Buoyed by their recent performance in the Lok Sabha elections in Tura, the Congress is...

HC gives six weeks to settle relocation matter

SHILLONG, June 13: The High Court of Meghalaya has allowed six weeks’ time to the Harijan Panchayat Committee...