Saturday, April 5, 2025

Visa Row: Indian military team’s China visit called off

Date:

Share post:

NEW DELHI: India has called off the visit of a 30-member military delegation to China after Beijing refused a visa to a senior Indian Air Force officer who belongs to Arunachal Pradesh, a defence ministry source said Friday.

“I can confirm that the visit has been called off,” the source said.

Group Captain Panging, identified by his surname only, was part of the team scheduled to travel to Beijing from Jan 10, but his visa was denied by the Chinese embassy here without any reasons, the source said.

The 30-member team of the IAF, the army and the navy was to travel to China on a four-day visit for a bilateral defence exchange programme.

China claims Arunachal Pradesh as its territory and has been denying visa to those hailing from the northeastern state despite protests by India.

The denial of visa came close on the heels of a controversy over threats to two Indian traders involved in a financial dispute in the Chinese city of Yiwu.

Sources said the visa was denied by the Chinese embassy here without any reasons.

The team was expected to be in Beijing, Nanjing and Shanghai.

China claims Arunachal Pradesh as its territory and has been denying visa to those hailing from the northeastern state despite protests by India.

Beijing has also been denying visas to Jammu and Kashmir residents, sparking a diplomatic row between the two sides.

This is the second time that India has called off its military delegation trip to China.

In 2010, the Chinese embassy had denied a visa to then Lt. Gen. B.S. Jaswal, then head of the Northern Command because he was serving in Jammu and Kashmir. The visit of the military team Jaswal was leading was cancelled and India also temporarily called off its defence exchanges with China. However, the defence exchanges resumed after India sent a delegation in June last year. (IANS)

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...