Saturday, April 5, 2025

7.0 magnitude quake hits China, 152 killed

Date:

Share post:

Beijing: Over 152 people were killed and more than 3,000 injured on Saturday when a powerful 7.0-magnitude earthquake rocked southwest China’s Sichuan province causing massive destruction.

The quake hit Lushan county of Ya’an city in southwest China’s Sichuan Province at 8:02 am local time, according to the China Earthquake Networks Center (CENC).

The epicenter of the earthquake was reported to be at a depth of 13 Kms and was monitored at 30.3 degrees north latitude and 103.0 degrees east longitude.

At least over 152 people were killed and many others injured, China’s state-run CCTV reported, while officials said the number of injured people could be over a thousand. This is the second major quake to hit Sichuan in five years.

Over 90,000 people were killed in the 8-magnitude quake in 2008. The province is located in the quake prone Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. Sichuan is located close to the Tibet. Pictures on the state run CCTV showed extensive damage to buildings. The quake was strongly felt by residents in Sichuan’s capital city of Chengdu, which is about 140 kilometres from Ya’an. The airport in Chengdu was closed as it suffered the damage.

A resident in Chengdu, who was on the 13th floor of a building said he felt the building shaking for about 20 seconds and he saw tiles fall off nearby buildings, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

People in Leshan city of Sichuan Province, and neighbouring Chongqing Municipality also felt the earthquake. More than 2,000 soldiers were rushed to the area hit by the 7.0-magnitude quake for rescue and relief work, military sources said. The soldiers were from the Chengdu Military Area Command.

Meanwhile, two helicopters of the Chengdu MAC took off from Jiajiang county to learn the developments on the ground. The Chengdu MAC has already set up a quake relief and rescue headquarters. It has also set up a medical relief team for the quake-hit region. People in Leshan city of Sichuan Province, and neighboring Chongqing Municipality also felt the earthquake. The quake was felt in provinces of Guizhou, Gansu, Shaanxi and Yunnan. Several aftershocks rated above 4.0-magnitude also hit the area.

Chinese fire fighters pulled out 27 survivors, in Lushan county, the epicentre of the 7.0-magnitude quake. Lushan county fire fighters concluded search and rescue efforts in the main districts of the county seat and were in the process of moving to townships, according to Chinese Ministry of Public Security said. The fire corps of Sichuan Province has sent a reinforcement team of 615 firefighters with 110 fire-fighting vehicles and six sniffer dogs, as well as one medical team to the quake-hit region. Television footage from various towns in the Lushan county of Ya’an city, a prominent tourist town in Sichuan Province showed massive destruction. Several buildings had either partially collapsed or were completely damaged. The place has experienced over 30 after tremors so far. Prime Minister Li Keqiang has already rushed to Yaan city with a team of rescuers. “The current most urgent issue is grasping the first 24 hours since the quake’s occurrence, the golden time for saving lives, to take scientific rescue measures and save peoples’ lives,” Li told the rescuers. (PTI)

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...