Wednesday, July 9, 2025
spot_img

Indo-American actor sentenced to 7yrs for extorting Weinstein

Date:

Share post:

spot_imgspot_img

Indian-American actor Vivek Shah, who sent extortion threats to several high profile people including Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, has been sentenced to seven years and three months in prison.

The 26-year-old actor, who did small roles in TV series Outsourced, Bones and romantic comedy Our Family Weddings, was arrested in August last year for threatening to kill relatives of several prominent businessmen unless they wired money to an offshore account.

The West Hollywood-based Shah had hoped to raise USD 120 million through his elaborate extortion bid. Besides Weinstein, he targeted Relativity’s Ryan Kavanaugh, Groupon co-founder Eric Lefkofsky, Playtone owner Gary Goetzman, oil heiress Dannine Avara and Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula. He pleaded guilty in May to one count of transferring threatening communications in interstate commerce and seven counts of mailing or sending threatening communications through the mail, said the Reporter. “Imagine how terrifying it would be to open the mail and find a threat to kill your spouse or your children,” US Attorney Booth Goodwin said in a release. (PTI)

spot_imgspot_img

Related articles

Flash floods wash away Nepal-China trade route, leave 8 dead

Kathmandu, July 9: At least eight people died and 19 have gone missing in the flash floods that...

Vadodara bridge collapse: Death toll rises to 9, PM Modi expresses grief

Vadodara, July 9: The death toll in the Vadodara bridge collapse mounted to nine, said officials here on...

Many of you can become astronauts, walk on Moon: Shubhanshu tells students at NESAC

NEW DELHI, July 8: “Many of you can become future astronauts, even walk on the Moon,” Shubhanshu Shukla...

Keep all 18 Khasi villages in Meghalaya: Heads of Raid Nongtung urge Conrad

SHILLONG, July 8: The traditional village heads along the Assam-Meghalaya border in Ri-Bhoi, under the banner of the...