Friday, April 4, 2025

Chavan not barred from polls: Sonia on giving ticket to him

Date:

Share post:

New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi today brushed aside criticism over giving ticket to former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan in the Lok Sabha elections, saying that he was “not debarred” from contesting polls.
“The decision (to field Chavan in polls) was taken by the Central Elections Committee. As far as we know, Chavan is not debarred from contesting elections by any law,” she said addressing a press conference for the release of Congress election manifesto.
“I will answer the question,” Sonia Gandhi said as a reporter asked Rahul about the contradiction between his tearing up the ordinance on convicted lawmakers and raising anti-corruption issues while giving ticket to Chavan (in Nanded), whose name had cropped up in the Adarsh Housing scam in Maharashtra.
Chavan had quit as Chief Minister in 2010 after his name surfaced in the Adarsh Housing scam.
Late last year, when the State Government rejected an inquiry report in the scam that had indicted Chavan, Rahul Gandhi intervened to force the State Cabinet to reconsider its decision. (PTI)

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...