Govt: ANVC pact to be made public after surrender of arms

SHILLONG: The State government is planning to make the ANVC peace pact public after the formal surrender of arms and ammunition by the cadres of the outfit.

Indicating this, Home Minister Roshan Warjri on Monday said that there should not be any problem in placing the agreed text of settlement signed with the Garo rebel outfit in the public domain.

She said this while reacting to the demand of the NPP.

The NPP had asked the State government to make public the agreed text of settlement signed with a Garo rebel outfit last month.

The government will soon hold an official programme where the ANVC-cadres will be surrendering their arms and ammunition, she said adding “We may make the text of settlement public after this surrender ceremony”.

The agreed text of settlement was signed between the Centre, state government and the Achik National Volunteer Council (ANVC) and its splinter group ANVC(B) at New Delhi on September 24.

Peace with HNLC: Warjri, meanwhile, informed that the State Government is still on the job to shortlist the names of the interlocutors to facilitate the peace process with the banned HNLC.

She also informed that the Home Department is working out the modalities of the peace talks.

“The finalization of modalities for the peace talks will take some more time,” the Home Minister said adding that the Government was committed to have a dialogue with the proscribed outfit to promote peace and harmony in Khasi and Jaintia Hills region.

A senior government official, meanwhile, said that the issue of peace talks with HNLC will be taken up with the Centre at an appropriate time once the necessary preparatory work is completed.

Earlier, the HNLC while expressing happiness at the State Government’s move to initiate dialogue with the outfit, had asked the Government to appoint an interlocutor to start level one of the peace process.

Get real time updates directly on your device, subscribe now.

Comments are closed.