Friday, April 4, 2025

North Korea threatens nuke test

Date:

Share post:

SEOUL: North Korea on Thursday threatened to bolster its war capability and conduct a fourth nuclear test to cope with what it calls US hostility that led to the approval of a landmark UN resolution on its human rights violations.
A UN committee on Tuesday adopted the resolution urging the Security Council to refer the North’s rights situation to the International Criminal Court.
It’s the first time a UN resolution included the idea that the North’s absolute leader Kim Jong Un could be targeted by prosecutors. Before the UN vote, a North Korean envoy threatened a nuclear test.
On Thursday, Pyongyang’s foreign ministry called the resolution’s approval a “grave political provocation,” saying it was orchestrated by the US though it was drafted by the European Union and Japan.
An unidentified ministry spokesman told state media that the North’s war deterrence will be strengthened in an “unlimited manner” to cope with US hostility, which is “compelling us not to refrain from conducting a new nuclear test any longer.”
His comments on the nuclear test were near identical to what Choe Myong Nam, a foreign ministry adviser for UN and human rights issues, said at the UN.
The North has used similar rhetoric previously when there has been increased tension with other countries.
Analysts say it’s unlikely the North will follow through on its threats to conduct a nuclear test because that would invite further international condemnation and derail efforts to attract foreign investment and aid to revive its moribund economy.
China and Russia, which hold veto power on the Security Council, will not let the council refer the North’s rights situation to the criminal court, but North Korea also knows the two countries do not want another nuclear test by Pyongyang, said Lim Eul Chul, a North Korea expert at South Korea’s Kyungnam University. China and Russia voted against the non-binding resolution, which goes to the General Assembly for a vote in the coming weeks.
North Korea, however, often confounds outside analysts’ predictions and doesn’t always act according to a set pattern.  Two deadly attacks blamed on Pyongyang that killed 50 South Koreans in 2010 were a surprise because they came amid relatively easing tensions with the US and South Korea. (Agencies)

Related articles

Rupee strengthens against dollar amid Trump’s reciprocal tariffs

New Delhi, April 4: The Indian rupee witnessed sharp gains on Friday at below 85 against dollar, as...

Kareena Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Sunny Deol and others honor the legacy of Manoj Kumar

Mumbai, April 4: In heartfelt tributes to the iconic actor and filmmaker Manoj Kumar, B-Town celebs such as...

When Manoj Kumar spoke about life’s uncertainty and the inescapable reality of death

Mumbai, April 4: An old video of the late Manoj Kumar, sharing his profound thoughts on life's uncertainty...

PM Modi unveils 21-point action plan at 6th BIMSTEC Summit

Bangkok, April 4: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday presented a comprehensive 21-point action plan during the sixth...