Saturday, April 5, 2025

Philippines fines Chinese fishermen 102,000 dollar each for poaching

Date:

Share post:

PUERTO PRINCESA: A Philippine court on Mondayfined nine Chinese fishermen 102,000 dollar each after they were caught with hundreds of sea turtles in a disputed shoal in the South China Sea amid a festering territorial standoff between the two sides.
China claims almost all of the entire South China Sea, believed to be rich with minerals and oil-and-gas deposits and one of Asia’s biggest possible flashpoints.
Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Taiwan also have claims.
Philippine police arrested the fishermen and seized their boat off Half Moon Shoal, a disputed territory in the Spratly Islands within the Philippines’ 200-mile exclusive economic zone, in May.
Two of the fishermen were sent home because they were minors.
After three months of trial, Judge Ambrosio de Luna found the fishermen guilty of poaching in Philippine waters and of illegal possession of endangered green sea turtles.
It was not immediately clear how the fishermen would find the funds to pay the fines, but they face six months’ jail if they fail to pay up, time already served, suggesting they could even be released.
‘We’re merely imposing our laws,’ Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario told reporters.
‘We tried to look for ways to be lenient. I think they will credit whatever time has been served already.’
China protested against the arrests and does not recognise the trial, saying the nine were detained in China’s territorial waters.
IHS Jane’s, a leading defence publication, said on Friday satellite images show China is building an island on a reef elsewhere in the Spratlys large enough to accommodate what could be its first offshore airstrip in the South China Sea.
Del Rosario said the military had been asked to investigate. The building work, if confirmed, would fly in the face of US calls for a freeze in provocative activity in the South China Sea, one of Asia’s biggest security issues. Concern is growing about an escalation in disputes even as claimants work to establish a code of conduct to resolve them. (PTI)
Two Vietnamese frigates were due to arrive in the Philippines on Monday on a goodwill visit, the first time Hanoi has sent warships to the archipelago. REUTERS SHS VN1429

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...