Saturday, April 5, 2025

Pak seeks US assistance for $ 1.3 bln military offensive

Date:

Share post:

Islamabad: (PTI) Pakistan has briefed the US on the progress it made during military operations against militants in North Waziristan costing USD 1.3 billion and sought America’s help in defraying part of it.
Finance Minister Ishaq Dar yesterday met Senator Jack Reed, the ranking Democrat on the US Senate Armed Services Committee, who was accompanied by US Ambassador Richard Olson. They discussed various security issues including military offensive in North Waziristan which was launched in mid-June last year. Dar said the ongoing military offensive and internally displaced persons (IDPs) has reached USD 400 million and could go as high as $ 1.3 billion, the Express Tribune reported.  He “sought Washington’s help in defraying some of the costs.” Without explicitly asking for a specific amount from Washington, Dar told Senator Reed that Islamabad faced a severe financial crunch because of the operation and would welcome any international assistance.  The US senator was also informed that Pakistan was dealing with five million refugees, including 3 million Afghan refugees and nearly 2 million people displaced by operations inside the country. (PTI)
Senator Reed appreciated Islamabad’s decision to target all militant groups, including the Haqqani Network, which the US military has identified as the source of several attacks on their forces in Afghanistan. Reed also agreed that the international community should help Pakistan battle against terrorism. The Senator has made at least seven previous trips to Pakistan and historically been a supporter of stronger US engagement with Islamabad. PTI SH ZH 02191305

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...