Sunday, August 31, 2025
spot_img

Windies pay price for inconsistency, says Holder

Date:

Share post:

spot_imgspot_img

Wellington: West Indies have their own inconsistencies to blame for being bundled out of the World Cup in the quarter-finals, captain Jason Holder said following their 143-run trouncing by New Zealand.
The class of 2015 fell well short of the standards set by proud West Indies teams of the past which have twice won the World Cup.
The New Zealand innings was set up by a remarkable World Cup record 237 not out by Martin Guptill, the second highest ODI score ever, but Holder said that would not have happened under a better West Indies side.
“It was obviously a good innings. He took the game away from us. But we put him down early and we had a few half chances which we could probably have taken,” Holder said after seeing Marlon Samuels drop Guptill when the opener had made just four.
“I think we need to respond a little bit better when we’re bowling at the death. We didn’t really land our yorkers and we paid for it.”
Holder said the performance was typical of the way the West Indies had played throughout the tournament, winning three and losing three pool games.
“We’ve had some good games, we’ve had some bad games. Our bowlers have to be a lot more consistent than they are at the moment.”
The 23-year-old Holder was a surprise choice to lead the West Indies, taking over from Dwayne Bravo who along with Kieron Pollard was dropped for the World Cup following the players’ strike during their India tour last year.
Throughout the tournament he was dogged by suggestions that he did not have the support of senior players. (AFP)

spot_imgspot_img

Related articles

Satwik-Chirag stun nemesis Chia-Soh in quarterfinals

BWF World Championships India assured of World Championships medal Paris, Aug 30: Star Indian shuttlers Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty...

Malaysia stun Korea, Bangladesh crush Chinese Taipei 8-3

FIH Asia Cup Rajgir, Aug 30: Korea’s Asia Cup title defence received a massive jolt after being stunned 4-1...

Pak to visit India for Junior World Cup: Hockey India

Rajgir (Bihar), Aug 30: Pakistan will travel to India later this year to compete in the FIH Junior...

Focused on securing WC spot: Salima Tete ahead of Asia Cup

Bengaluru, Aug 30: Skipper Salima Tete said the Indian women’s hockey team is determined to “secure a spot...