Saturday, April 5, 2025

Sequel to Mandela’s memoir to be released next year in India

Date:

Share post:

London: A sequel to Nelson Mandela’s bestselling memoir recounting his time as South Africa’s first democratically elected president, is scheduled to be published in countries including India and the UK next year. Nelson Mandela Foundation has “a substantial but incomplete personally written draft” of the book, written before the statesman died in December 2013 at the age of 95.  On the wishes of his widow, Graca Machel, it will be completed by a group of Mandela’s former advisers. Mandela left a plan that set out how the story would unfold. The sequel will be published in the UK, South Africa, India and Australasia in 2016. US and Canadian rights have not yet been sold. The sequel to “Long Walk to Freedom” will be published next year, Pan Macmillan Publishing House said. Machel, Mandela’s third wife and first lady for the last year of his term, said that the book would be completed by a pair of his aides and a team of researchers led by Vernon Harris at the Nelson Mandela Foundation, ‘The Times’ reported. Machel said: “He [Mandela] wanted to put on record his own reflections of those important years in his life (1994-1999) when he was president of South Africa.” “The book he had in mind was to be a natural progression from his autobiography, Long Walk to Freedom. Madiba [Mandela’s clan name] started working on a manuscript provisionally titled The Presidential Years in 1998,” Machel said. Circumstances did not allow him to complete the project. “I am very pleased that a team comprising former senior advisers of his have accepted responsibility for completing this unfinished task on his behalf,” Machel said. (PTI)

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...