Friday, April 4, 2025

Govt plays down Mookhep magisterial report

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: The State government on Tuesday said that there was nothing confidential in the magisterial inquiry report into the Mookhep firing incident which was submitted to the Government in November last year.
Two persons were killed and many others injured during police firing on a crowd at Mookhep on September 24 last year while the protestors were asking the government to address their various concerns after the NGT ban on coal mining.
Earlier, the state government had rejected the report of the magistrate stating that it was inconclusive and no responsibility was fixed on anyone.
A senior government official said on Tuesday that there was no harm in releasing the magisterial inquiry report as there was nothing confidential in it.
“But we have constituted the administrative probe headed by D P Wahlang to get a conclusive report which is under the scrutiny of the political department”, the official added.
Earlier on Monday, the pressure groups from Jaintia Hills had set 10-day deadline to the government to release the magisterial inquiry report.

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...