Saturday, April 5, 2025

Sordar accused of misleading villagers, violating NGT ban

Date:

Share post:

EKH village residents demand police action against traditional head

SHILLONG: The residents of Mawjongka, East Khasi Hills in a press conference here on Wednesday demanded police action against Sordar of Wahlang 9 Kyntoit, Disping Nongrang for allegedly instigating people to oppose the burial of one Shita Kharmuti’s daughter in the village cemetery.
Speaking to media persons, a resident, Freddie Sawkmie said that though Nongrang holds the position of Sordar he still claims to be the secretary of the village.
According to the residents, in a letter to Kharmuti, the Sordar stated that the headman of Mawjongka village,  Shken Shabong was not informed of her daughter’s death and it was on this ground that they had refused  her daughter’s burial anywhere in the community burial ground.
“The letter to Kharmuti, objecting her daughter’s burial at the community burial ground, bore the signatures of fifteen people who were the members of the dorbar as well as some local residents,” Sawkmie said.
The incident that took place last year prompted Kharmuti to file an FIR on June 8, 2015 against the fifteen people.
It is learnt that her daughter was buried at the Catholic cemetery of the village later.
“The headman including thirteen others was arrested, however, Nongrang and another accused, Synsharsing Warjri were not apprehended,” he said.
Interestingly, Sawkmie claimed that in the status report of the police, the name of Warjri was omitted and instead the name of one Lestarsing Jana, a non-existent person, was inserted.
“Lestarsing Kharphuli is a resident of the village whereas Lestarsing Jana is not. The Sohiong police arrested Kharphuli instead of Nongrang and Warjri,” he said.
In this connection, the residents met the SP East Khasi Hills, M. Kharkrang and SP (city) V. Syiem where they were assured that investigation will be conducted in the matter.
Meanwhile, the residents also alleged that Nongrang promoted favoritism by issuing NOC for sand mining in the year 2014 and 2015.
“He demands Rs 3000 to those he does not wish to issue an NOC to; we urge the SP EKH to arrest Nongrang and punish him for violating the High Court order and the NGT ban,”  Sawkmie added.

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...