Thursday, April 3, 2025

JHADC chief rules out withdrawing NOC

Date:

Share post:

Border survey

JOWAI: The Jaintia Hills Autonomous District Council (JHADC) chief said on Wednesday the no objection certificate to NBCC for inspection and realignment of fencing along the Indo-Bangladesh border could not be cancelled unless there is proper evidence of violation of land rights of the people as the land is the subject matter of the District Council.
JHADC chief Thombor Shiwat said the NOC was issued earlier to the DC for land acquisition and not for any purpose.
A team of CCIB activists met Shiwat on Wednesday and demanded that the NOC be cancelled. Condemning the move to issue NOC, the delegation claimed that West Jaintia Hills DC Arun Kumar Kembhavi violated land rights of the people living along the border by not consulting them before allowing the inspection.
The CCIB also alleged that the DC imposed Section 186 of the IPC on the stretch between Nongjri and Jaliakhola “that prohibited locals from utilising their land rights as the border areas also fall under scheduled area under the JHADC”.
CCIB, who had earlier demanded Kembhavi’s removal, is likely to meet the Governor on the border survey.

Related articles

Trump unveils tariffs

Washington, April 2: President Donald Trump announced plans for sweeping tariffs Wednesday, saying "our country has been looted,...

SC quashes HC order against The Shillong Times

NEW DELHI, April 2: The Supreme Court of India has quashed a contempt proceeding against The Shillong Times...

Kharlukhi raps Biren for remarks on PA Sangma

SHILLONG, April 2: Former NPP state president and Rajya Sabha MP WR Kharlukhi on Wednesday criticised former Manipur...

New snakehead species of fish found in Chokpot

SHILLONG, March 2: Meghalaya has once again gained recognition in the scientific community with the discovery of a...