Thursday, April 3, 2025

KHNAM reiterates demand for review of reservation policy

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: A delegation of KHNAM leaders on Tuesday submitted a memorandum on reviewing the State Reservation Policy to Deputy Chief Minister R C Laloo after they failed to get an audience with the chief minister.
Speaking to reporters on Monday, KHNAM leader Pyndapbor Saibon said, “We urge that the matter be reviewed at the earliest as it has led to an imbalance in and a loss to the Khasi-Jaintia communities.”
“The reservation for Khasi/Jaintia and Garo should be worked out at a ratio of 50:30 (against the current 40:40). Reservation should be made based on the cut out percentage to inculcate a spirit of competitiveness amongst communities,” he said.
At the same time, Saibon said that the carry forward system which seeks to fill in the remaining Garo quota in the next recruitment year should be done away with.
The Deputy CM assured to discuss the matter with the CM.
It may be recalled that the KHNAM leaders referred to the RTI findings stating that the State Reservation Policy was adopted in the form of a resolution that dates back to January 12, 1972, prior to achieving statehood and it has not been reviewed even once by the State government since then.

Related articles

Trump unveils tariffs

Washington, April 2: President Donald Trump announced plans for sweeping tariffs Wednesday, saying "our country has been looted,...

SC quashes HC order against The Shillong Times

NEW DELHI, April 2: The Supreme Court of India has quashed a contempt proceeding against The Shillong Times...

Kharlukhi raps Biren for remarks on PA Sangma

SHILLONG, April 2: Former NPP state president and Rajya Sabha MP WR Kharlukhi on Wednesday criticised former Manipur...

New snakehead species of fish found in Chokpot

SHILLONG, March 2: Meghalaya has once again gained recognition in the scientific community with the discovery of a...