Thursday, April 3, 2025

No talks with rebels: Centre

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: The Centre will not initiate peace talks with any militant outfit at the moment, said Home Ministry official Satyendra Garg on Thursday.
Satyendra Garg, joint secretary, Home, in charge of the North East, while replying to questions by reporters on whether the Centre is open for talks with GNLA and HNLC, said if the Centre’s intervention is required, it would intervene but it is at the moment not considering any proposals.
He added that for the Centre to come to the talks table, the groups have to first abjure violence and abide by the Constitution.
The Garo National Liberation Army, or GNLA, and the Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council, or HNLC, had earlier expressed their willingness to come forward for peace talks with the government.
The State Governemnt and the Centre has so far held peace talks with ANVC and its splinter group, besides signing a peace pact with the United A’chik Liberation Army (UALA) in 2015.

Related articles

Trump unveils tariffs

Washington, April 2: President Donald Trump announced plans for sweeping tariffs Wednesday, saying "our country has been looted,...

SC quashes HC order against The Shillong Times

NEW DELHI, April 2: The Supreme Court of India has quashed a contempt proceeding against The Shillong Times...

Kharlukhi raps Biren for remarks on PA Sangma

SHILLONG, April 2: Former NPP state president and Rajya Sabha MP WR Kharlukhi on Wednesday criticised former Manipur...

New snakehead species of fish found in Chokpot

SHILLONG, March 2: Meghalaya has once again gained recognition in the scientific community with the discovery of a...