Thursday, April 3, 2025

MeECL ready to extend jugali merit list by 3 months

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: The state power corporation’s assurance on Monday to extend the merit list for the post of linesmen by another three months failed to assuage the resentment of protesting jugalis who vowed to continue their indefinite strike.
The demonstration that started outside the gate of Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited (MeECL) on Monday was backed by the state youth wing of the Khun Hynniewtrep National Awakening Movement (KHNAM). Shortly after the protest started, the chairman and managing director of MeECL, PS Thangkhiew, invited the agitators for talks which, however, fell through.
Speaking to media persons after the meeting, KHNAM youth wing president Thomas Passah said Thangkhiew verbally assured the delegation to extend the merit list by another 3 months and to appoint candidates under phase II by August.
“However, we have maintained that we will no longer accept such sweet verbal assurances by MeECL. We demand that such assurances be given in black and white in the form of a notification,” Passah said.
He said since the CMD failed to inform the delegation on the matter, they have decided that the indefinite strike will continue. The main demand is to complete appointment of all candidates before August 2 as the one-year validity of the merit list will expire on the day.
Referring to the recent information sought under the RTI Act, 2005, Passah said MeECL in its reply has revealed that the total number of sanctioned posts is 1,073 and the numbers of regular and casual jugalis appointed so far are 596 and 462, respectively. With the strike called by casual jugalis, the functioning of sub-stations in all the 11 districts was hit. Altogether 466 candidates are yet to get appointment letters. A petition was also filed by Romeo (Mul) Niangti, an aggrieved candidate, before the Meghalaya HC for its intervention.

Related articles

Supreme Court stays tree felling on land near Hyderabad University

New Delhi, April 3: The Supreme Court on Thursday stayed tree felling on 400 acres of land in...

Govt scraps charges on updating nominee details in PPF accounts

New Delhi, April 3: Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced on Thursday that the government has issued a Gazette...

Myanmar hit by 66 aftershocks following deadly earthquake

Yangon, April 3: As of Thursday morning, Myanmar has experienced 66 aftershocks ranging from magnitudes 2.8 to 7.5,...

Waqf Bill will open new avenues for development of Muslim: Danish Ansari

Lucknow, April 3: Uttar Pradesh Minority Affairs Minister Danish Ansari on Thursday claimed that the passage of the...