Sunday, August 31, 2025
spot_img

Beckham awarded MLS Miami franchise

Date:

Share post:

spot_imgspot_img
Miami, Jan 30 (IANS) David Beckham, the former Manchester United star and England captain, and his investor group said that they had been awarded a Major League Soccer (MSL) franchise for Miami.

“I’m excited to bring this great team to this great city – it has been a hell of a journey,” Beckham said during a press conference here on Monday, reports Efe.

The 42-year-old Beckham and his business partners, however, did not provide much in the way of details about the team’s name, colours or possible roster.

“I promise you the team that we bring into this league will be one of the best teams,” Beckham said during the official announcement of the awarding of the franchise at the Adrienne Arsht Center’s Knight Concert Hall.

Although team officials will not be providing additional details on the franchise for a few days, the new club already has a following.

A group of football fans, calling themselves the Southern Legion, cheered and waved signs and banners, thanking Beckham for bringing an MLS team here.

“This is your club, this is your city and the world is going to be watching what you do to make this one of the great teams in the world,” MLS commissioner Don Garber said.

Miami Beckham United, the investment group headed by Beckham, plans to build a $200 million 25,000-seat stadium in Miami’s Overtown neighbourhood.

Beckham, who retired in May 2013 after a brief stint with Paris Saint-Germain, played in the MLS for five seasons until November 2012.

spot_imgspot_img

Related articles

UAE heat forces 30-minute delay in Asia Cup matches

Dubai, Aug 30: The start time for 18 out of the 19 matches in the upcoming Asia Cup...

Gill awaits fitness test for Asia Cup

Bengaluru, Aug 30: India Test skipper and T20 vice-captain Shubman Gill reached the BCCI Centre of Excellence here...

Oman skipper ready for maiden Asia Cup

New Delhi, Aug 30: When Oman steps out for their maiden Asia Cup game against Pakistan in Dubai...

Indian fan zones sold out: CA

Melbourne, Aug 30: Cricket Australia has announced that the dedicated Indian fan zones at all eight venues for...