Friday, April 4, 2025

Nongstoin Cong changes council poll candidate; rift likely

Date:

Share post:

NONGSTOIN: The Nongstoin Block Congress Committee has decided to name Gabriel Wahlang as its candidate for next year’s district council election.
The decision was taken on Monday at Congress Bhavan where 150 members of the committee attended the general meeting.
However, the decision may backfire as last year, the committee had decided on the name of Nestingdar Nongdkhar as its candidate.
Nongdkhar, who is a former MDC from Nongstoin, was an aspirant candidate for the February Assembly polls. But after an understanding, it was decided that Wahlang would contest the Assembly elections and the ticket for the council polls will go to Nongdkhar.
When asked, Nongdkhar expressed disappointment. Stating that the Congress’s flip-flop had led to its defeat on several occasions, Nongdkhar predicted split in the party. However, Wahlang said there was no division and Nongdkhar has agreed to his candidature.

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...