Friday, April 4, 2025

Bangladeshi immigrant convicted for New York subway bomb blast

Date:

Share post:

Washington: A US federal court has convicted a Bangladeshi immigrant on charges of detonation and attempted detonation of a pipe bomb in a New York subway station last year.
Akayed Ullah, 28, a legal permanent resident, faces a possible sentence of life in prison. His sentencing is scheduled on April 5. During interrogation, Ullah had told law enforcement officials that he got inspiration from the ISIS to carry out such a terrorist strike in New York City and constructed the pipe bomb at his residence in Brooklyn.
US Attorney Geoffrey Berman said that Ullah’s sinister purpose was to harm and terrorize as many innocent people in his path as possible, by using deadly violence to make a political statement.
Berman said, “Ullah’s conviction by a unanimous jury of New Yorkers falls on Election Day, which fittingly underscores the core principles of American democracy and spirit: Americans engage in the political process through votes, not violence.” Ullah detonated an improvised explosive device (IED) inside a subway terminal near the New York Port Authority Bus Terminal on December 11, 2017.
Shortly after the blast, members of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Police Department located Ullah lying on the ground in the vicinity of the explosion. Surveillance footage had captured him walking through the Subway Terminal and detonating the IED. (PTI)

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...