Friday, April 4, 2025

MHRC asks DGP to probe assault of Excise official

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: The Meghalaya Human Rights Commission has directed the Director General of Police to institute an inquiry into the alleged assault and abuse of an Excise department official by police personnel in West Garo Hills district last year.
Acting on a complaint from one Mancheng D Marak, member of the Commission, P Hanaman, in an order on Wednesday said that the inquiry should be conducted by an officer not less than a Deputy Inspector General of Police and the report must be submitted within 30 days.
Marak in his complaint had alleged that one Babul Roy along with 5 other police personnel of West Garo Hills on December 7 last year barged into his house and assaulted him with blows and batons.
He further alleged that the cops took him to the police station and forcefully made him sign a fabricated seizure list threatening him with dire consequences if he refused to do it.

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...