Thursday, April 3, 2025

Meghalaya to apprise SC about ‘difficult’ rescue operation

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: It is almost  three months since 15 coal miners were trapped in an illegal coal mine in East Jaintia Hills and now the state government is contemplating to appeal before the Supreme Court to let the  apex court know how difficult the situation had become to carry on with the  rescue operations.

Speaking to media persons here on Tuesday, Chief Minister Conrad Sangma said that the operations had become very difficult to carry on with it.

“Even the navy has pulled out keeping in view  the situation in the coastal areas. We have been trying our best even after involving so many top level agencies but we have not been able to save the lives and retrieve the bodies and it has been a massive challenge,” the Chief Minister said

Stating that it was their duty to keep trying and the government kept on trying to rescue the coal miners, the chief minister added that that whether the rescue operations should continue or not, the call would be taken after discussing matter with experts.

On being asked if the state government would appeal before the Supreme Court to call off the rescue operations since the it was  monitoring the operations, Sangma added that the government would appeal before the apex court and let it  know about how difficult the situation has become.

He further said that the different agencies involved in the rescue operations had tried the best to rescue the coal miners.

It was on December 13 last year when as many as 15 coal miners working in an illegal coal mine at Ksan in East jaintia Hills were trapped inside the mine.

Following the incident a multi-level rescue operation was carried out and even the Indian Navy was pulled in .

However, even  after all the efforts , the authorities have been able to retrieve the dead bodies of only two coal miners who were  working in the ill-fated coal mine that day.

Related articles

Trump unveils tariffs

Washington, April 2: President Donald Trump announced plans for sweeping tariffs Wednesday, saying "our country has been looted,...

SC quashes HC order against The Shillong Times

NEW DELHI, April 2: The Supreme Court of India has quashed a contempt proceeding against The Shillong Times...

Kharlukhi raps Biren for remarks on PA Sangma

SHILLONG, April 2: Former NPP state president and Rajya Sabha MP WR Kharlukhi on Wednesday criticised former Manipur...

New snakehead species of fish found in Chokpot

SHILLONG, March 2: Meghalaya has once again gained recognition in the scientific community with the discovery of a...