Friday, April 4, 2025

Tripura to display criminals’ names ahead of polls

Date:

Share post:

AGARTALA:With an aim to ensure a violence-free Lok Sabha elections, the Tripura Police would publicly display the names and antecedents of criminals against whom arrest warrants were pending, the state police chief said here on Friday.

“To hold a free, fair and violence-free Lok Sabha elections, the police would publicly display the names and antecedents of criminals against whom arrest warrants were pending,” Director General of Police (Tripura) Akhil Kumar Shukla told the media.

He said: “Besides online platforms, the names and antecedents of the criminals would also be displayed in gram panchayat offices, markets, transport stands and other public places so that the people can identify them and help the police arrest the wanted people.”

The DGP said that so far around 1,400 people were arrested against whom arrest warrants were pending and efforts were on to nab 4,200 more offenders.

Shukla said that over 64 companies of additional Central paramilitary forces have arrived in Tripura to assist the Tripura State Rifles, the state police and the existing paramilitary forces in the state to ensure an incidence-free, smooth elections.

“Static, flying and foot patrolling squads of security forces would move in every direction, especially in the sensitive areas, to foil any untoward incident before and during the polls,” Shukla said, adding that all the eight district police chiefs have been directed to take stern actions against the law violators.

There are 13 candidates in fray in the Tripura West Lok Sabha seat and 10 in the Tripura East (reserved for tribals) constituency. In all, three women candidates are contesting the elections this time.

Tripura West goes to the polls in the first phase on April 11 and Tripura East in the second phase on April 18.

A total of 26,05,325 electorates, including 12,85,618 women, are eligible to exercise their franchise in the two Lok Sabha constituencies in Tripura. IANS

Related articles

Cases pending against Koch-Rajbongshis in FTs to be withdrawn: Himanta

GUWAHATI, April 4: In a historic decision, the Assam Cabinet on Friday directed the withdrawal of all cases...

Manipur: First tripartite talks between Meitei, Kuki-Zo, MHA in Delhi tomorrow

Imphal, April 4: In a significant development, leading organisations of Meitei and Kuki-Zo-Hmar communities will hold a tripartite...

HYC not allow recruitment of nurses by NEIGRIMS over unsatisfactory female-to-male ratio

Shillong, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) announced on Friday that they will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...

PM Modi urges Bangladesh’s Yunus to avoid rhetoric, protect minorities

Bangkok, April 4: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday raised the issue of safety and security of minorities...