Death toll in nCoV outbreak surges to 1,367

Beijing/Wuhan: China on Thursday reported 254 fatalities from the coronavirus outbreak – the highest in a single day and double than the previous record high – taking the death toll to 1,367, as authorities adopted a new diagnosis method amid concerns that the crisis is nowhere near slowing down contrary to official projections.
China’s central Hubei province, the epicentre of the virus outbreak, reported 242 deaths and nearly 15,000 fresh cases on Wednesday, said Mi Feng, a spokesperson with the National Health Commission. Twelve fatalities came from other provinces including two in Henan, and one in Tianjin, Hebei, Liaoning, Heilongjiang, Anhui, Shandong, Guangdong, Guangxi, Hainan, and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps respectively.
The total deaths from the more than two-month-old virus outbreak as reported on Thursday stood at 1,367, with the total number of confirmed cases mounting to 59,804, health officials were quoted as saying by the state-run Xinhua news agency.
The Philippines reported the first death outside China from the virus. So far 445 cases have been reported from about 26 countries including three from India. Amid growing public anger over the handling of the crisis, the ruling Communist Party of China replaced two high-ranking officials in Hubei province, where coronavirus first emerged in late December in provincial capital Wuhan.
Xinhua reported that former Shanghai Mayor Ying Yong, 61, a close ally of President Xi Jinping, has been appointed as the new Hubei party secretary, replacing Jiang Chaoliang. The leader of Wuhan city, Ma Guoqiang, 56, has been replaced by Wang Zhonglin, 57, the party secretary of Shandong’s provincial capital Jinan. Jiang, 61, is the highest-ranking political casualty so far in the virus outbreak.
Today’s purge of the officials followed dismissal of the two top health officials in Hubei province earlier this week. The Hubei Provincial Health Commission said Wuhan has reported 14,840 new cases on Wednesday, including 13,332 “clinically diagnosed cases”, which are being treated as confirmed cases from Thursday onwards as a new method of calculation. The commission said the adjustment in the calculation has been made to give those who have been clinically diagnosed with the timely standard treatment of confirmed cases.
With this, the total confirmed cases in Hubei province rose to 48,206, it said. While China attributed the big increase in the numbers to the change in the new methodology of calculation, significantly the rise coincides with the visit of a 15-member team of the specialists of the World Health Organisation (WHO) which is currently visiting China. It is not yet clear whether WHO team is also scrutinising the numbers relating to the virus. (PTI)

Get real time updates directly on your device, subscribe now.

Comments are closed.