Friday, April 4, 2025

UK coronavirus alert downgraded from Level 4 to 3

Date:

Share post:

London: The UK’s coronavirus alert level has been downgraded from four to three on Friday, a move hailed by the government as a big moment in its pandemic fight.

Under level three of a five-level alert system, the virus is now considered to be “in general circulation” and therefore allow for a “gradual relaxation of restrictions” to ease the lockdown further.

Previously, at level four, transmission of the deadly virus was considered “high or rising exponentially”.

The UK moving to a lower alert level is a big moment for the country, and a real testament to the British people’s determination to beat this virus, said UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock.

The government’s plan is working. Infection rates are rapidly falling, we have protected the NHS and, thanks to the hard work of millions in our health and social care services, we are getting the country back on her feet, he said.

The go-ahead for the downgrade came from the expert Joint Biosecurity Centre, which recommended a reduction that was then jointly approved by the chief medical officers (CMOs) of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

There has been a steady decrease in cases we have seen in all four nations, and this continues. It does not mean that the pandemic is over. The virus is still in general circulation, and localised outbreaks are likely to occur, the CMOs said in a joint statement.

We have made progress against the virus thanks to the efforts of the public and we need the public to continue to follow the guidelines carefully to ensure this progress continues, they said. (PTI)

Related articles

M’laya committed to finding peaceful resolution: Conrad

Meghalaya-Assam border talks 2.0 From Our Correspondent NONGPOH, April 3: Chief Minister Conrad Sangma on Thursday acknowledged the complexities...

Awaiting word from Assam for joint inspection: Nongpoh MLA

By Our Reporter SHILLONG, April 3: Nongpoh MLA Mayralborn Syiem on Thursday said that the state government is awaiting...

Tendulkar visits M’laya on private trip with family

By Our Reporter SHILLONG, April 3: Legendary Indian cricketer, Sachin Tendulkar, is currently on a private visit to Meghalaya...

MSPCB to reinspect proposed coke plant site amid opposition from EJH village

By Our Reporter SHILLONG, April 3: The Meghalaya State Pollution Control Board (MSPCB) on Thursday assured a delegation from...