Hunt on to find culprits of Lawsohtun assault

SHILLONG: East Khasi Hills SP, Sylvester Nongtnger has said that the police is yet to identify the culprits who were involved in the assault of six boys in Lawsohtun last week, but added that all out efforts were being made in this regard.
“We are working hard to establish the crime and our officers are in action to identify the culprits,” the SP said.
Stating that the police had picked up eleven boys for interrogation, he added that the Dorbar Shnong of Lawsohtun also held a meeting with him on Monday.
“We have discussed this unfortunate incident and we have sought the cooperation of the Dorbar Shnong in this matter,” he said.
It may be mentioned that a case has been registered at Laban police station under sections 326/307/506/34 IPC following which 3 suspects were picked up on Friday and 8 suspects on Saturday for interrogation.
The police have also appealed to witnesses to come forward in helping the investigation team to ascertain the facts and circumstances of the case and to help in identifying the perpetrators of the crime.
The incident happened on Friday when a group of nine youths hailing from Laban and adjoining areas who went to play basketball at Block VI in Lawsohtun, were assaulted by masked group of men resulting in injuries of six youths.
Meanwhile, City SP Vivek Syiem organised a “peace meet” at Kench’s Trace Police Beat House on Monday. Representatives of Dorbars of Lawsohtun, Kench’s Trace, Oxford & Rilbong, besides some community members attended the meet.
Most of the attendees were of the view that it was a one-off incident which might not be communal in nature. Everybody agreed that efforts need to be made to ensure that it did not escalate. Police was also urged not to spare anybody found guilty.

Get real time updates directly on your device, subscribe now.

Comments are closed.