Developed By: Workmates Core2Cloud
10 patients killed in fire at COVID care facility in AP
Vijayawada (AP): As many as 10 patients died at a star hotel converted to a coronavirus treatment centre here on Sunday when panic-stricken inmates tried to flee a fire suspected to have been caused by a short circuit, the government said.
Ten people were killed in the mishap, Vijayawada Police Commissioner B Srinivasulu said. All the victims were patients undergoing treatment there, according to Deputy CM (Health) A K K Srinivas.
Twenty people have been rescued. The hotel leased by a private hospital to treat coronavirus patients had “violated” safety rules, according to Fire Safety Director Jairam Naik. It will face action as investigation has been initiated, he said.
The Andhra Pradesh government announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 50 lakh each to the kin of the 10 victims. Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy over the phone and enquired about the incident. Reddy told Modi that a private hospital had taken the star hotel on lease to treat COVID-19 patients.
The PM assured all possible help and support to the families of the victims, a release from the CMO said. State Home Minister M Sucharita said an electrical short circuit appeared to be the possible cause of the fire mishap in the wee hours of Sunday.
There were 40 coronavirus positive persons undergoing treatment at the private facility. There were 10 staff members of the private hospital that was running the COVID Care Centre (CCC).
According to sources in the AP Disaster Response and Fire Services Department, the fire apparently broke out due to an electrical short circuit in the hotel’s front lobby and spread to the first and second floors. (PTI)