Friday, April 4, 2025

Barcelona in negotiations with Al-Sadd for Xavi Hernández

Date:

Share post:

BARCELONA, Nov 4: Barcelona is in negotiations with Qatari club Al-Sadd for the release of Xavi Hernandez so the former midfield great can return to Camp Nou as coach.
“The two clubs are in conversations and we don’t know how it will end,” Xavi told Catalan public television station TV3 on Wednesday. “It is very exciting. I don’t know what will happen.”
The former Spain midfielder said coaching Barcelona would be “an exciting step” in his career. “I am a very positive person. I believe that common sense will prevail and there will be an agreement,” Xavi said. “Both clubs know my position, and I hope this can be resolved soon.
“We are all very eager. It would be spectacular.”
Al-Sadd appears not as eager to let him go. In a statement, Xavi’s current employer said it “welcomed the visit of the administrative delegation” from Barcelona.
But Al-Sadd CEO Turki Al-Ali added: “The club’s position is clear from the beginning — we are committed to keeping our coach Xavi with us and we cannot have him leave at this sensitive time of the season.”
The 41-year-old Xavi left Barcelona in 2015 after helping the club win 25 titles in 17 seasons, including four European Cups. He was also key to Spain winning the 2010 World Cup and European Championships in 2008 and 2012.
Since then, he has been at Al-Sadd, first as a player and then as its coach. (AP)

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...