Friday, April 4, 2025

Suspended MLAs not returning to Cong: Ampareen

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG, June 6: With their reputation at stake following their suspension from the Congress, the group of five MLAs has made its intention clear of not returning to the party.
“We are not going back to the Congress as we have our own reputation and dedication towards the people who have elected us,” East Shillong MLA, Ampareen Lyngdoh said on Monday.
Lyngdoh pointed out that the Congress has already decided to install a new president in her constituency without her or the block committee’s consent and the president is already showcasing himself as the Congress candidate for 2023.
She mentioned that it was clear the Congress will not accommodate the five MLAs as candidates leaving them with no option other than evaluating their prospect with another party.
She recalled that the AICC in-charge (Manish Chatrath) had recently visited Shillong but had not made any effort to reach out to them.
She also said that the five MLAs did not respond to the initial suspension order because it had been decided locally in violation of the constitution of the Congress which clearly spells out that only the high command can suspend an elected party member.
To a pointed question on which political party she is planning to join, Lyngdoh said the decision will be guided by her people. “We will join any party which recognises our potential and connection with the people,” she added.

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...