Friday, April 4, 2025

CM defends private entry in Kolkata M’laya House

Date:

Share post:

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG, Aug 23: Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma on Wednesday defended the government’s decision to let out the ground floor of the Commercial Complex of Meghalaya House in Kolkata to a Shillong-based private firm.
The ground floor of the complex on Russell Street was assigned to Rocky Dhar of Umkdait in the city’s Nongmynsong area. The proprietor is the younger brother of Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar.
Sangma said it is important for people to do their homework and know the details before asking why the property was allotted.
He claimed the property remained unutilised for the last 15 years, resulting in the state government losing out on a sizeable revenue.
“I had visited and saw the halls almost empty. The tourism and agriculture counters were just there without being that productive. We lost revenue as this beautiful asset is in the heart of Kolkata,” he said.
Sangma said the government had taken up this matter in 2019 and decided to float a tender to let the property out.
“The highest bidder was chosen during the tendering process. What is important is that proper procedure was followed and it was allotted to the person who will bring the highest revenue to the government,” he said.
“We should finally start getting some revenue from this location, which will obviously benefit the state,” the CM said.
The Voice of the People Party had earlier expressed shock and  dismay over the decision to let the Meghalaya House ground floor to a private party. The ground floor is currently occupied by stalls of the Directorate of Tourism, Directorate of Horticulture, and Meghalaya Handloom and Handicrafts Development Corporation Ltd.
“All these units/outlets under the various departments/corporations were set up at the Meghalaya House in order to promote the products and services of these departments on commercial terms,” VPP general secretary, Ricky A.J. Syngkon said.
“It now appears that the present dispensation is all out to serve the interest of some individuals, not the people who have voted them to serve and not be served,” he said, adding that the government succeeded in awarding the tender to Rocky Dhar after three attempts.

Related articles

Rupee strengthens against dollar amid Trump’s reciprocal tariffs

New Delhi, April 4: The Indian rupee witnessed sharp gains on Friday at below 85 against dollar, as...

Kareena Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Sunny Deol and others honor the legacy of Manoj Kumar

Mumbai, April 4: In heartfelt tributes to the iconic actor and filmmaker Manoj Kumar, B-Town celebs such as...

When Manoj Kumar spoke about life’s uncertainty and the inescapable reality of death

Mumbai, April 4: An old video of the late Manoj Kumar, sharing his profound thoughts on life's uncertainty...

PM Modi unveils 21-point action plan at 6th BIMSTEC Summit

Bangkok, April 4: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday presented a comprehensive 21-point action plan during the sixth...