Friday, April 4, 2025

26 students from state stuck in Sikkim, helpline activated

Date:

Share post:

By Our Reporter

SHILLONG, Oct 6: At least 26 students from Meghalaya are stranded in Sikkim after the flash flood cut off roads and bridges in the Himalayan state, officials said on Friday.
To help those stranded in Sikkim, the Meghalaya government has activated a helpline 1800 345 3644, they said.
“31 students from Meghalaya are studying in Sikkim. Five of them have returned on their own, while efforts are on to bring the remaining 26 back home,” an official said.
In a post on X, Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma said that those affected by the devastation in Sikkim can reach out to the Directorate of Higher and Technical Education’s Additional Director A Ali and Deputy Director FB Ramsiej.
Cabinet Minister Paul Lyngdoh on Friday said necessary steps are being taken to safely bring the students home.
“I am yet to get my hands on the figures but as we speak, students are being picked up and we hope to complete the evacuation process within two to three days,” he said.
He said Meghalaya police is in torch with their Sikkim counterparts and monitoring the situation.
Twenty-six bodies, including those of seven Armymen, have been recovered so far from the slush and debris of the flash flood in the Teesta river that devastated Sikkim, while the search continued for the 142 people who are still missing, Sikkim officials said on Friday night. (With inputs from PTI)

Related articles

Prime Minister Narendra Modi being welcomed by the Indian community people on his arrival at a hotel in Bangkok, Thailand, on Thursday

Prime Minister Narendra Modi being welcomed by the Indian community people on his arrival at a hotel in Bangkok,...

State failing to check illegal coal mining, VPP MP tells LS

Our Bureau NEW DELHI/SHILLONG, April 3: Shillong MP from VPP, Ricky AJ Syngkon on Thursday raised the issue of...

All-party panel to discuss rly in state; KSU reacts sharply

By Our Reporter SHILLONG, April 3: The state government has announced the constitution of an all-party committee consisting of...

Saleng flags ‘attack’ on Christians in LS, joins Opp MPs in walkout

By Our Reporter SHILLONG, April 3: Tura MP Saleng Sangma has condemned the attacks on Christians in various parts...