Monday, July 22, 2024
spot_img

World Watch

Date:

Share post:

spot_img
spot_img

Indian farm worker dies in Italy without medical help
London/Rome, June 21: A 31-year-old Indian casual worker in Italy has died tragically after he was dumped on the road without medical assistance by his employer after his arm was severed by heavy farm machinery. Satnam Singh was injured by heavy machinery while working in a vegetable field in Lazio, near Rome, on Monday. The Embassy of India in Rome posted on Wednesday on X that it was aware of the very unfortunate demise of an Indian national in Latina, Italy. “We are in contact with local authorities. Efforts are underway to contact the family and provide consular assistance,” it wrote without giving more information. Singh reportedly hailed from Punjab. According to Italian media, Singh’s employer, Antonello Lovato, loaded him and his wife into a van and left them by the side of the road near their home. “We heard his wife’s screams who kept calling for help, then we saw a lad who was holding him in his arms and who carried him into the house,” ANSA news agency quoted Ilario Pepe, the owner of the house, as saying. “We thought he was helping him, but then he ran away. “I ran after him,” said Pepe, “and I saw him get into a van and I asked him what had happened and why he hadn’t taken him to hospital. “He replied ‘he’s not on the books as a regular employee”. The severed arm was placed in a fruit box. Medical help did not reach Singh until an hour and a half later. He was airlifted to a hospital in Rome but died on Wednesday. Lovato is now under investigation for criminal negligence and manslaughter. Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni called Singh’s death an “inhuman act” and a “barbarism” that must be “harshly punished”. (PTI)

Newly named Washington Post editor decides not to take job
New York, June 21: Newly named Washington Post editor Robert Winnett has decided not to take the job and remain in England amid leadership turmoil at the news organisation. The Post’s CEO and publisher, Will Lewis, announced Winnett’s decision to withdraw in a note to staff on Friday morning. He will stay as deputy editor of the Telegraph in London. Several published reports had raised questions about Winnett’s involvement in articles where a source was paid and information gathered through deceptive means – practices more commonplace in England but frowned upon by journalists in the United States. As part of a reorganisation that has backfired, Lewis had named Winnett, a former colleague, to take over the Post’s core newsroom functions after the November election. The Post’s former executive editor, Sally Buzbee, had quit rather than accept a demotion. (AP)

Historic flooding in southern China kills 47
Beijing, June 21: At least 47 people have died as downpours in southern China’s Guangdong province caused historic flooding and slides, state media reported Friday. State broadcaster CCTV said Friday afternoon that another 38 people were confirmed dead in Meizhou city, adding to nine others previously reported dead in the same city. (AP)

spot_img
spot_img

Related articles

MeECL studying HC judgment on ‘equal pay for equal work’

Shillong, July 21: The Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited (MeECL) is examining the recent judgment by the single bench...

10 NE councils to ask Centre to table Sixth Schedule Amendment Bill in Parliament

SHILLONG, July 21: The ten autonomous council (ACs) and territorial councils (TCs) of the Northeastern states have unanimously...

KSU vows to continue drive against labourers

SHILLONG, July 21: The Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) on Sunday said while the state government examines various mechanisms...

TMC undecided on contesting Gambegre bypoll

SHILLONG, July 21: The Trinamool Congress has gone quiet about the Gambegre by-polls with the state unit yet...