Friday, April 4, 2025

Hackers

Date:

Share post:

Manila: Hackers launched a series of New Year’s day attacks that temporarily shut down several Philippine government websites including the office of the vice-president, officials said on Monday.

Vice President Jejomar Binay said hackers calling themselves the PrivateX group brought down his official website for 15 hours on Sunday and denied access to mostly migrant Filipinos checking on his office’s activities. The website provides information on the programmes, projects and services of his office, which also serves as a portal for country’s more than nine million overseas workers to air their concerns and grievances.

“On January 1, 2012 at about 4 pm, the official website of the Office of the Vice President was hacked by the PrivateX group, which caused the site to be down by more than 15 hours,” Binay said in a statement.

He said his website was hosted by the state-run Advanced Science and Techology Institute (ASTI) which had already launched an investigation into the incident.

The same group had also defaced the websites of the Philippine Nuclear Research Institute, the anti-piracy Optical Media Board and two others run by small government agencies. (AFP)

Related articles

PM Modi urges Bangladesh’s Yunus to avoid rhetoric, protect minorities

Bangkok, April 4: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday raised the issue of safety and security of minorities...

SC orders Yasin Malik to cross-examine witnesses virtually from Tihar

New Delhi, April 4: The Supreme Court on Friday allowed jailed JKLF chief Yasin Malik to cross-examine witnesses...

India in active talks with domestic pharma exporters amid new US tariff threat

New Delhi, April 4: The Commerce Ministry is in active talks with Indian pharmaceutical exporters amid growing concerns...

Rupee strengthens against dollar amid Trump’s reciprocal tariffs

New Delhi, April 4: The Indian rupee witnessed sharp gains on Friday at below 85 against dollar, as...