Friday, April 4, 2025

Assam pays Rs 25 lakh compensation

Date:

Share post:

From Our Correspondent

 Guwahati: The Government of Assam has complied with the recommendations of the National Human Rights Commission and paid Rs. 25 lakhs as monetary relief to the next of kin of five men killed in an encounter in June, 2009 in the Dohikata Kadaldhowa reserve forest in the State in a joint operation of Assam Police, Army and CRPF, according to a communiqué issued by the NHRC.

The Commission, on the basis of the inquest, post-mortem and magisterial inquiry reports and other material on record had observed that this was an execution, not an encounter, and a criminal and grievous violation of human rights.

It also said that the evidence from the post-mortems shows that the five men were shot from the back, not in an exchange of fire.

No attempt had been made to establish, through the ballistics and forensics tests that are standard operating procedure for any efficient police investigation, that these men had handled or fired any of the weapons allegedly recovered from the site.

Unconvinced by the explanations given by the Government of Assam, the Commission had recommended that it pay Rs. 5 lakhs each to the next of kin of five men killed in a fake encounter- Allauddin, Sahjamal Hoque, Promtone Sangma, Jahangir and Salim Khan.

The State Government was also directed to send a proof of payment to the Commission.

The Commission had registered a case no. 75/3/6/2010-ED on intimation, dated the 23rd October, 2009, received from the ADGP, Assam Police, on the encounter in June, 2009.

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...