Tuesday, June 18, 2024
spot_img

ANVC-B activities under Govt scanner

Date:

Share post:

spot_img
spot_img

By Our Reporter

 SHILLONG: Though the State Government held initial talks with the ANVC (B) after forming an official committee, the violent activities being unleashed by the militant outfit has delayed the decision to carry forward the talks.

Besides killings and kidnapping, the ANVB (B) is engaged in rampant extortions, though the militant outfit had denied these as mere allegations.

The recent case of violence is the killing of four civilians by the cadres of ANVC(B) at Nangalbibra in South Garo Hills on Saturday evening.

An official said talks were on with the ANVC at the level of Principal Secretary (Home) in the past to examine the demands of the militant outfit.

However, with the reports of incidents of Illegal activities, the superintends of police of all the districts of Garo Hills have been asked to provide ground assessment on the activities of ANVC(B) before carrying forward the talks.

“An official level committee was formed to pursue the talks with the ANVC (B) and the committee is waiting for the reports from the SPs of all the districts of Garo Hills before starting the next round of talks,” an official source said.

According to the source, the law and order situation is changing in Garo Hills with the entry of ANVC (B) and an analysis will be made on the current scenario before carrying forward the talks.

ANVC-B denies hand in Nangalbibra shooting: Meanwhile, denying the recent statement made by the police that they have concrete evidence of the involvement of ANVC-B in the shootout at Nangalbibra market of South Garo Hills, the outfit said that till date the outfit has not engaged itself in shooting or killing any civilians or security forces.

South East Area Commander of ANVC-B, Norok Momin said, the claim made by the police of ANVC-B’s involvement is an attempt to mar the name of the outfit and that there are other militant outfits in the region and it could have been any one of them.

The Area Commander said that the police have no evidence to prove the involvement of the ANVC-B. He also said that the ANVC-B has always been transparent of its views and actions through various media houses.

According to reports, suspected rebels had targeted a police vehicle and civilians in the heart of Nangalbibra market by firing indiscriminately on innocent civilians leading to the death of two persons on Saturday. .

spot_img
spot_img

Related articles

More rain in NE states till June 22, warns Met office 

Guwahati, June 18: The Met office has forecast isolated heavy to very heavy rainfall over the Northeastern states...

India’s net direct tax collections surge by 21 pc in FY25

  New Delhi, June 18:  India’s net direct tax collections have shot up by a robust 20.99 per cent...

PM-KISAN scheme: Over 3 lakh benefitted so far, know about world’s largest DBT scheme

  New Delhi, June 18:  Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to release the 17th installment of PM-KISAN scheme...

CII urges govt to leave corporate tax rates at current levels in Budget 2024-25

  New Delhi, June 18: Apex business chamber Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has in its wish list for...