Thursday, February 22, 2024

Libyan army clashes with Islamist militants, three killed

Date:

Share post:

spot_img

BENGHAZI: Clashes between Libyan troops and militants in the eastern city of Benghazi on Monday killed at least three people and wounded a dozen more during a military operation, security and medical officials said.
Still in training, Libya’s new military is struggling to curb Islamist militants and militias who fought in the uprising against Muammar Gaddafi but refuse to disarm and control parts of the country.
Gunfire and explosions could be heard in Benghazi and thick smoke rose from the Ras Obeida area. The army ordered residents to stay off the city streets, witnesses said.
Fighting broke out when an army special forces unit pursued a suspect into an area where Islamist militant group Ansar al-Sharia operates its own checkpoints, Benghazi city security officials said.
Ansar al-Sharia was blamed for the attack on the US consulate in Benghazi a year ago when the US ambassador and three other Americans were killed.
The chaos in Libya is worrying its neighbours and the western powers who backed the uprising that led to the fall of Gaddafi two years ago in one of the Arab Spring revolts.
Prime Minister Ali Zeidan, who was briefly abducted by a militia last month, met US Secretary of State John Kerry and British Foreign Secretary William Hague in London yesterday to discuss cooperation. Rival militia groups withdrew from Tripoli last week after clashes killed more than 40 people when protesters marched to one of the militia bases to demand they leave the capital city. Hoping to co-opt former fighters, the government hired militia groups to provide security. But they remain loyal to their commanders or tribes, and often clash in disputes over territory or personal feuds.
The US military, Britain, France, NATO and Turkey have all promised aid for the OPEC country’s armed forces. But most of the programmes are just beginning and the military is still no match for the armed groups. (Reuters)

spot_img

Related articles

Budget focus on women empowerment

By Our Reporter SHILLONG, Feb 21: The overall allocation for the empowerment of women in Meghalaya for the 2024-25...

CM promises minimum load-shedding this year

By Our Reporter SHILLONG, Feb 21: The state government is making efforts to minimise power outages, with Chief Minister...

Now, wildlife conflict victims to get Rs 10L compensation

By Our Reporter SHILLONG, Feb 21: The government has raised the compensation for the victims of human-wildlife conflicts in...

Conrad defends ‘188’ political appointments

By Our Reporter SHILLONG, Feb 21: Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma finds nothing wrong with political appointments that cost...