Friday, April 4, 2025

At least two dead in Nairobi building collapse

Date:

Share post:

Nairobi: At least two people were killed and several others were injured on Monday when a six-storey residential building collapsed in the Kenyan capital Nairobi, officials said.

Hospital officials said today they had treated 28 survivors pulled out of the rubble of the building, situated in Nairobi’s Haruma neighbourhood, but it remained unclear if others were still trapped.

Kenya’s Red Cross said two people had died and 38 had been injured, with search and rescue operations continuing this morning. The building collapsed at around 7:00 pm local time, sparking a major rescue operation involving scores of police, city officials and medical workers, an AFP photographer at the scene said.

Speaking to Capital FM radio, Nairobi county official Tom Odongo said the six floors of the building were all occupied and a seventh was under construction. He also said the upper floors were built in quick succession, putting pressure on the lower floors, and added that the construction had not been permitted by local authorities. (Agencies)

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...