Thursday, April 3, 2025

Welcome Dorphang’s challenge for debate: KHNAM president

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: KHNAM chief Adelbert Nongrum on welcomed ex-HNLC chairman and sitting Mawhati legislator Julius Dorphang’s challenge for an open debate, even as he asserted that such debates were unnecessary.
Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Nongrum said he had mentioned Dorphang’s name as an instance and there was nothing personal in his approach.
“If he wants to stage the debate in  his constituency, I am willing to participate,” Nongrum said.
Nongrum had earlier said in a press statement that subversive activities of some militants are overlooked by the State government while the treatment meted to the driver of the vehicle that had bumped into the official vehicle of the chief minister was unfair taking advantage of his poor background.
Nongrum also expressed surprise that Dorphang had not raised important social issues like the ILP issue, uranium mining and empowerment of traditional heads.
Commenting on Dorphang’s claim that he would expose Nongrum’s anti social activities, which he claimed were worse in comparison to militant activities, the KHNAM chief said, “The people of Khasi and Jaintia Hills wish to know what crimes I have committed.”

Related articles

Trump unveils tariffs

Washington, April 2: President Donald Trump announced plans for sweeping tariffs Wednesday, saying "our country has been looted,...

SC quashes HC order against The Shillong Times

NEW DELHI, April 2: The Supreme Court of India has quashed a contempt proceeding against The Shillong Times...

Kharlukhi raps Biren for remarks on PA Sangma

SHILLONG, April 2: Former NPP state president and Rajya Sabha MP WR Kharlukhi on Wednesday criticised former Manipur...

New snakehead species of fish found in Chokpot

SHILLONG, March 2: Meghalaya has once again gained recognition in the scientific community with the discovery of a...