Saturday, April 5, 2025

Non-payment of dues: Social Welfare blames it on Centre

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: A day after the Social Welfare department was accused of embezzling funds to the tune of over Rs 35 crore meant for payments to self help groups and women’s organisations, the department on Tuesday said that inadequate and delayed sanction from the Centre did not allow it to clear all pending dues.
The department added that it will not hold back payments related to the actual expenditure on Supplementary Nutrition Programme.
On Monday, the aggrieved parties, who were employed in the services of supplying the Supplementary Nutrition Programme (SNP) foodstuffs, condiments etc., claimed that they have not received their rightful dues.
Reacting to the allegations the Social Welfare department said that the actual expenditure on Supplementary Nutrition Programme for 2015-16 is Rs.103.49 crore whereas the Government of India had released only Rs 57.79 crore.  The State Government, meanwhile, had released Rs 9.20 crore as state share.
“The Department has been seriously taking up the matter of pending bills with the Centre on a regular basis, for both ICDS and RGSEAG (SABLA) and does not hold back payments nor divert the funds for other expenditures as alleged by the SHGs,” a department statement said.
The Social Welfare Department said that the bills amounting to Rs.34.70 crore had been duly paid to SHGs during 2015-16 for supply of food items under the Supplementary Nutrition Programme. The department claimed that it also paid Rs 28.45 crore to the manufacturer in the same year.   Hence, the allegation that it favored payment to the manufacturer alone is false, it said.
“However, due to delay in release of funds by Centre and inadequate sanction, which is not as per the actual requirement, the Department was not in a position to clear all pending dues the  SHGs,” the statement clarified.

Previous article
Next article

Related articles

Centre seeking answers to queries on ILP: Paul

SHILLONG, April 4: Amid the long-pending demand to implement the Inner Line Permit in Meghalaya, the Centre has...

My suspension from VPP was ‘premeditated’, says Adelbert

SHILLONG, April 4: North Shillong MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said his suspension from the Voice of the...

All-party committee to consult stakeholders on railway projects

Hynniewtrep land will burn if govt brings rlys, pressure groups warn SHILLONG, April 4: The all-party committee headed by...

HYC threatens to block NEIGRIHMS recruitment

SHILLONG, April 4: The Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) on Friday announced that it will not allow NEIGRIHMS to...