Thursday, April 3, 2025

Ronnie-Naik stand-off on SPTS reaches CM

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: Chief Minister Mukul Sangma on Thursday took note of the threat of defamation suit against Urban and Municipal Affairs Minister Ronnie Lyngdoh by former principal secretary in charge of the concerned department P. Naik following a stand-off between the duo over the running of buses and maxi taxis.
Naik, who retired as additional chief secretary earlier this year, is currently employed by the government to streamline various rules framed by the State.
Lyngdoh said the chief minister took cognizance of Naik’s stand and assured the minister that he would deal with the matter at his level.
On the demand of UDP for an independent probe into the matter, the minister said he was waiting for the arrival of the department’s senior official who is out of station, to discuss about the appropriate steps.
Earlier, the minister had questioned Naik’s role in entrusting the NGOs to run the buses and maxi taxis.
However, Naik’s stand was that there was no reason to blame him since the decisions were endorsed by the committee headed by the chief secretary. He had also pointed that MUDA headed by the minister as executive chairperson should have taken corrective steps in the past if there was anything wrong.

Related articles

Trump unveils tariffs

Washington, April 2: President Donald Trump announced plans for sweeping tariffs Wednesday, saying "our country has been looted,...

SC quashes HC order against The Shillong Times

NEW DELHI, April 2: The Supreme Court of India has quashed a contempt proceeding against The Shillong Times...

Kharlukhi raps Biren for remarks on PA Sangma

SHILLONG, April 2: Former NPP state president and Rajya Sabha MP WR Kharlukhi on Wednesday criticised former Manipur...

New snakehead species of fish found in Chokpot

SHILLONG, March 2: Meghalaya has once again gained recognition in the scientific community with the discovery of a...