SHILLONG: The state government has approved the fourth phase of the Megha Health Insurance Scheme (MHIS) in convergence with the central scheme of Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Swasthya Suraksha Mission.
Speaking to media persons after a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday, Health and Family Welfare Minister AL Hek said the insurance cover of Rs 2.80 lakh under Phase II has been increased to Rs 5 lakh that includes medical investigations and tests that a patient requires.
Under Phase IV, the government plans to insure 8.8 lakh families in the state. This time, it will cover all the members of a family and not just five like in the previous phase.
When asked if the government would go for new enrolment for the phase, Hek said the government might not go for fresh enrolment since the new scheme covers the entire population.
MHIS is a universal health insurance scheme for all residents of Meghalaya excluding state and central government employees.
The scheme, which was launched in 2012, has an objective to provide financial aid to all the citizens of the state at the time of hospitalisation and reduce out-of-pocket expenses.
Meanwhile, officials informed that so far claims worth more than Rs 70 crore have been made under Phase III with more than 1 lakh patients utilising the scheme.
It is learnt that all hospitals in the state have been brought under the ambit of MHIS.