Friday, April 4, 2025

NRC fallout: James assures thorough check

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: Home Minister James Sangma has asserted that the government is taking all measures to ensure that there is no spillover of immigrants from Assam to Meghalaya in view of the recent publication of draft NRC list.
Speaking to The Shillong Times on Saturday, Sangma admitted that there is concern on the matter but the government wants to assure that it is taking measures to ensure that there is no spillover.
“There is no need for panic,” he said, while adding that the government is conducting regular checking at various points and it is seized of the matter.
KSU had earlier set up infiltration check gates in three districts and many immigrants were detected and sent back following the publication of the draft list.
The state government has also directed all deputy commissioners to be on alert and take measures to stop any illegal immigrants in the state.
The NGOs in Meghalaya want the government to conduct an NRC-like exercise to detect illegal immigrants.

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...