Two held in Agnes attack case

SHILLONG: Two persons were arrested on Friday in connection with the brutal attack on CSWO president Agnes Kharshiing and her companion Amita Sangma in East Jaintia Hills.
East Jaintia Hills SP Sylvester Nongtnger in a statement said the suspects, Elphon Dkhar and Meklison Siangshai, were arrested during a pre-dawn raid in the Kongong area.
Nongtnger said a suo motu case was taken up by police since the victims were not in a condition to file an FIR.
Meanwhile, Kharshiing, who is admitted in NEIGRIHMS, continues to be in a “critical but stable” condition, doctors attending to her said.
Kharshiing and Sangma were attacked by a mob on Thursday and they were dragged into a forest and left there.
Dr P Bhattacharya, HOD, Anaesthesia and Critical Care, said the doctors “are doing everything possible to improve her condition”.
The NEIGRIHMS spokesperson informed that Kharshiing is on life support and her parameters are stable but doctors consider the situation as critical since she is on ventilator and in ICU.
Kharshiing has head injuries and fractures in ribs and backbone, besides blood clots in lungs and brain. Sangma is stable and her condition is improving.
Urban Affairs Minister Hamlet Dohling, Nongthymmai MLA Charles Pyngrope, MLA and Planning Board chairman Lambor Malngiang, KHADC chief executive member HS Shylla, UDP general secretary Allantry Dkhar, Meghalaya State Women’s Commission chairperson Theilin Phanbuh, Dr P Lyngdoh, Naba Bhattacharjee, college and university teachers, members of print and electronic media, NGOs, civil society leaders and several others visited the hospital on Friday.
Former chief minister Mukul Sangma also called up Kharshiing’s family to enquire about her health. Her uncle, Rev Pastor Robert Cunville, also called up from London. The family also received several calls from well-wishers across the country.
The attack on the activists took place a day after Kharshiing detected five coal-laden trucks parked at Mawiong Rim in Shillong, which were later seized by the police. The activists had gone to Tuber to follow up the case.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments are closed.