Friday, April 4, 2025

CM hopes SC will stop rescue ops at Ksan

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG: Chief Minister Conrad Sangma on Tuesday expressed hope that the Supreme Court will allow the ongoing rescue operations at Ksan to be called off.
Altogether 16 miners were trapped in a coal mine after water flooded it on December 13 last year.
Talking to media persons on the sidelines of the oath-taking ceremony of the Chief Justice of the High Court of Meghalaya here on Tuesday, Sangma said, “We have appealed and we shall wait. We are obviously clear at this point that we cannot expect survivors,” he said.
Admitting that the rescue operations have proved to be a daunting task, Sangma reiterated that efforts were made to rescue the trapped miners.
The SC will resume hearing on the PIL calling for measures to rescue the trapped miners in July after the summer vacation.
Even after massive rescue operations involving multiple agencies, only two bodies could be retrieved.

Related articles

Venkatesh Iyer silences critics with blazing 60 as KKR crush SRH

Kolkata, April 3: Venkatesh Iyer answered his critics with a match-winning 60 off 29 balls, propelling Kolkata Knight...

Can’t accept verdict, but will abide by it: Mamata

Kolkata, April 3: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she respects the judiciary but disagrees...

JD(U) leader quits party over Waqf bill protest

Patna, April 3: JD(U) leader Mohammed Qasim Ansari on Thursday resigned from the party in protest against the...

Won’t snatch Muslims’ rights, assures Rijiju

New Delhi, April 3: Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected the opposition’s allegations that the...