Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Corruption in Meghalaya comparatively less: Guv

Date:

Share post:

spot_img

SHILLONG, June 28: The Meghalaya Democratic Alliance government is battling a litany of allegations of corruption and misgovernance but it has received an endorsement from none other than Governor Satya Pal Malik who said that corruption was comparatively less in the state.
He was reacting to a query from reporters on whether he will take up the issue of corruption and scams that are reported frequently in the state.
“I have been sent here after I took up the issue of corruption in four states. After this, where will I reach? My retirement is nearing. I am not going to end up in any fight,” the governor told journalists on Tuesday.
The state government faced a series of allegations of irregularities in several departments in recent times. There were an alleged rice scam and allegations of irregularities in the Saubhagya scheme. There were also charges of misappropriation of funds in the district councils.
Malik termed the Agnipath scheme, which had triggered widespread protests, as “fraud on youth” and demanded its scrapping. He insisted that the earlier system of recruitment is continued.
He pointed out that Yogendra Singh Yadav, who was awarded the Param Vir Chakra for his gallantry in the Kargil War, had maintained that the scheme would weaken and demoralise the forces.
“There can be no more authentic voice than Yogendra Singh Yadav,” the Governor said.
He said he had shared his concerns on several issues with the Centre in the past but there was no solution. He said he is not aware who gives such ideas, like Agnipath, to the government.
The Agnipath has been introduced by the Centre for recruitment of soldiers below the rank of commissioned officers into the armed forces. For them, it will be the only route for recruitment into the military. All recruits will be hired for a period of four years initially.
The personnel recruited will be called Agniveers, a new military rank. A total of 25% of the Agniveers will be absorbed in the armed forces on successful completion of their tenure. The remaining 75% of the recruits will be offered an amount of Rs 12 lakh as golden handshake over and above the stipend they will get during their training.

spot_img

Related articles

Free medical camps by BSF benefit locals

SHILLONG, Feb 20: The ‘Seema Praharis’ of BSF Meghalaya, as part of their continuous efforts to safeguard the...

AHAM broaches issue of Adokgre’s C&RD Block

Tura, Feb 20: The Achik Holistic Awakening Movement (AHAM), Adokgre region unit in North Garo Hills (NGH) has...

VPP — Where is the party heading?

Editor, The ongoing Assembly session and issues of the recent past, have now warranted to try and question the...

Bob’s Banter

By Robert Clements Just Plain Coffee Thoughts..! Was wondering whether to write on politics or plain humour, when I found...